Ten major national awards, more than twenty years running her landscape business and several years as an art gallery director in Newmarket, Hilary Smythe is based south of Auckland, designing for clients throughout the North Island.
Designing a garden or landscape should be a collaboration between owner and designer, or a positive, innovative response to a client brief, preferably both.
Each design work Hilary takes on is specifically tailored, no two finished sites are ever identical, even if they began that way.
Either with the use of unusual plants, or an entirely radical approach to the site, where appropriate, the work should be outstanding, quietly or overtly.
When designing I am aware of having absorbed inspiration from many, but particularly the following;
Carlo Scarpa, architect and exhibit designer
Anselm Keifer, aritist and sculptor
Fernando Caruncho, landscape designer
Gertrude Jekyll and Edwin Luytyens, garden designer and architect collaborators
Mirei Shigemori, garden designer
Vladimir Sitta , garden designer
Russell Page, garden end exhibit designer
With a very extensive range of landscape works designed and built, in a wide range of sites and situations, Hilary brings experience and style to ever project undertaken.
Dynamic, classic or modern design:
– Gardens, courtyards and atriums
– Water features, pools and paving
– Native planting and restoration
– Gourmet, edible and uncommon plants
– Shelter and lifestyle block design
– Original New Zealand sculpture sourcing
– Commercial exhibits
Landscaping awards held include:
– Supreme Award for Horticultural Excellence (Ellerslie Flower Show)
– Landscape Industries Association of New Zealand Award for Professional Excellence
– 4 Gold Awards for major Ellerslie Flower Show exhibits
Please see my contact page for more details on current projects and pricing